Soffid includes in its Smart Engine a layer of BPM (Business Process Management) to provide useful workflows integrated with the processes and policies of the Soffid core.
Until now, the workflows were implemented with an external programming tool, and it required knowledge of the Soffid core and programming languages.
The BPM Editor Addon allow you to create, configure and publish business processes very easily for the Soffid administrators.
This addon is available from Soffid version 2.7.0.
This addon is located in the Addons section and its name is BPM web editor.
For download and install the addon you could review our generic documentation about this process: Addons installation
After the installation of the addon you could find its web page in the section: Start > Soffid Configuration > BPM editor
With this addon you can perform the next operations:
- In the BPM editor page, you can create, edit and publish workflows (and also remove).
- The workflows can be exported and imported to create backups and copy them in other environments of Soffid.
- Nowadays, there are some templates to create new workflows: user management and permissions management
Once you have published a workflow with the proper configuration:
- The users with the correct permissions will start, approve or observe the workflows.
- The final user could start a new workflow from the Selfservice Portal or if he has more permissions also from the Console.
- Once a workflow is published, this is already available from the menu.
- In the Selfservice: Start > New process > THE WORKFLOW
- In the Console: Start > Processes and tasks > New process > THE WORKFLOW
The BPM editor page allow to the user the next operations.
And also, when you select a workflow, more operations are displayed.
These operations are described below.
New business process (button)
The buttonallows you to create a new workflow (business process).
First, you have to fulfil the name and select a type.
About the attributes:
- The Process name is the identifier of the workflow and the label name of the workflow in the Console and Selfservice for the final user.
- The Process type has two options:
- User management: used to create and update identities and their attributes.
- Permissions management: used to create, update and remove permissions and account to identities.
To complete the creation, click the Accept button, and the next step will be the configuration of the workflow. For more information, go to the Configuration section.
Import process (button)
The buttonallows you to import a workflow previosly exported.
This functionallity is very usefull to next scenarios:
- To restore a workflow from a backup (a workflow previosly exported)
- To deploy a workflow from one environment to other (for example from Test to Live)
- To start a new workflow from a template
To import a new workflow you only have to select and upload a *.pardef file:
If a workflow already exits with the same name, this will be overwritten.
Edit process (icon)
The iconopen the workflow's configuration page.
For more information, go to the Configuration section.
Remove process (icon)
The iconallows you to remove a workflow.
Notice that the workflow is permanently removed in the BPM editor page, but if it was previously published, it is still available for the final user in the Console and Selfservice. To unpublish the workflow you have to disable it, for more information visit: Disable/enable a workflow
Export process (icon)
The iconallows you to export a workflow to a *.pardef file.
This file could be imported later in the same Soffid or into another Soffid instance.
In this section you could find information about how to configure all the aspects of a business process (workflow).
All the configurations explained are in the edit process page.
In this section you could update the main attributes of the workflow and the authorizations required for the users.
About the attributes:
- Process name. This is the identifier name of the process and also the label name for the final users. If you change the name, a new instance will be published, the previous one could be disabled in the Business process definition page.
- Process type. The type of the workflow: "User management" or "Permissions management".
- Description. This is the description of the workflow. When a final user starts a worktlow, this text is displayed into the Actions log tab.
- Initiators. Here you could configure the roles or the identities that could start a new workflow from the Console and Selfservice. E.g. "admin" identity, "SOFFID_ADMIN" role, both separated by comma ',' as "admin,SOFFID_ADMIN" or if you want to publish the workflow to everyone, you can use the text "tothom" or the character '*'.
- Managers. Here you could configure the roles or the identities that could perform tasks in the workflow as approve permissions or cancel the workflow.
- Observers. Here you could configure the roles or the identities that could open the workflows in read-only mode.
Below you could find a set of workflows that you could import, edit and publish in your Soffid instance:
- Permission+request.pardef. This workflow is used to assign new permisions to a identity.
Links to additional information in the documentation:
- Addons installation: 4. Addons
- Selfservice portal: Self Service Portal
- Example of a workflow: Reconcile process
- About your tasks: My tasks
- Manage workflows: Business process definitions